The implant placement into the jawbone is virtually pain-free and often less than having the tooth removed in the first place. However, before implant placement, your dentist will require a current x-ray of the area to assess the bone quantity, quality, proximity of critical anatomical structures, and contemporary medical history to ensure you can have the implant surgery.
The implant itself is comprised of three components: the titanium implant itself, which is like a hollow screw placed into the jawbone; an abutment, which is attached to the implant with an internal screw and comes up out of the gums; and finally, a crown or cap, which is cemented or screwed into the abutment.
A dental implant is typically a titanium screw or pin placed into your jaw’s bone. Then once the implant has ossified, it is used to either anchor a denture or provide a solid base for an artificial tooth.
Over the last few years, the success rates of implants have significantly increased, and although still considered expensive, it is within reach of many Canadians.
Top Benefits of Dental Implants:
- Dental implants can aid in preserving the healthy adjacent teeth to the missing ones. One of the ways that dental implants do this is by eliminating the need to use adjacent teeth to anchor bridgework.
- Dental implants will help preserve your jawbone and your facial structure. Unlike dentures, there isn’t bone loss under the gum.
- Dental implants that anchor dentures alleviate several problems that denture wearers face. A well-anchored denture will not slip or tilt; those are the common causes of sores along the gum. Well-anchored dentures also mean you will be confident and not worry about potentially embarrassing moments.
- Dental implants, whether to replace a tooth or anchor dentures, can improve speech. Your facial muscles will not have to be tense to hold the denture—no more slurring, mumbling, or clicking noises.
- Dental implants will restore your ability to eat confidently and enjoy food taste. Upper dentures inhibit your ability to taste food since they cover much of the palate.
- Dental implants look and feel like natural teeth, improving appearance and confidence and enhancing self-esteem.
- Due to the high success rate of implants, you can realize a lifetime of benefits.
- Dental Implants are hygienic, meaning they are cleaned like a natural tooth.
- Dental Implants do not decay like regular teeth.
Dental Implants Dental Care is offered at 5th Avenue Dental Centre to help you maintain your gums and overall dental health.